Custom Search

Monday, May 12, 2008

Getting Old and Staying Young

Well I know now that I am officially getting old. My daughter has her first crush on an older guy. She is all of six years old and is madly in love with her soccer coach, who is in college. At first this all seemed really cute and funny to me. I remember being young and having my first crush on an older guy. I think we have all been there at one point or another. After all, when you are six, most six year old boys seem so immature and silly. As my daughter so bluntly put it, "They are just weird!" So watching her try to do her best to impress and basically follow him around like a little lost puppy was amusing at first. I had to be a little impressed actually, because she has pretty good taste in guys for being only six. There is something about him that reminds me a lot of my husband, which I am sure is part of the attraction for her. With Daddy being in Iraq, it would only be natural for her to totally love guys that are so much like him, because she absolutely adores her father. I started thinking that if I were ten years younger I would probably be chasing this guy down myself. Then it hit me. "If I were ten years younger." That was the most terrifying thought that I have had in a long time. Don't get me wrong. I am madly in love with my husband, more than satisfied with our relationship, and there are still major sparks in the bedroom department. I, in no way have any intention of finding another guy or even remotely want another guy. Well I take that back. I would definitely never throw David Beckham out of my bed and honestly, my husband would probably ask if he could watch. (Have you noticed a dominating theme here. I think everyone in my family has some serious soccer issues!!!) But anyway, back to the point, just the thought that someone old enough to be in the serious dating pool is too young, was really scary. I mean this guy is only the age that my husband and I were when we started dating each other seriously. When did I get so old. Then another thought occurred to me. If I didn't remember getting so old, who's to say that I really am that old. I mean after all, age is just a number. I know that is one of the oldest cliches in the book and people only ever say that to make you feel not quite so bad about getting old, but I really don't feel that old. Maybe we are only as old as we feel. My love life is just as active as it was when I was 20. I still have a huge crush on my husband and we are still known to go parking every now and then. So maybe that is the key to staying young. By doing all those silly little things that we did when we were in our teens and 20's, we are essentially fighting the aging process. Who cares if we act silly together and do all the touchy feely PDA's that people generally are grossed out by when they hit their 30's. And take it from a voice of experience, even though your bed at home may be so comfortable and convenient, there is a lot to be said for making out in the backseat of your vehicle. Maybe, none of us ever really have to get old, even though our age number gets higher. Maybe instead of being 30, I'll just be twenty-ten.

No comments: